Although the pregnancy test tool has become so familiar to women when there is a need to determine if they and their husbands are about to become parents, many people are quite confused and do not fully understand the meaning of the lines that are shown on a pregnancy test. Here is our simple guide to help you read the pregnancy test result.
What is a Pregnancy Test and How to Use It?
A pregnancy test is a tool to help you to check whether you are pregnant or not. This tool mechanism is quite simple. It will respond to the hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) concentration in the urine sample, also known as the pregnancy hormone. Only during conception, the concentration of HCG in urine will appear and increase to confirm that a baby is growing up in your belly.
There are many types and brands of pregnancy tests on the market. The relative use of a pregnancy test is not too complicated. Most of them have the following basic steps:
- Read the instructions carefully before using the container
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap, then carefully remove the test strip from the box and wrap.
- Prepare a device (cup / small cup) for urine
- Insert the pregnancy test strip into the urine container with the arrow pointing down. Note: Do not allow the urine to flood the arrows.
- Leave the stick in the cup for 5-10 minutes and then lift it.
- Read the result on the pregnancy test.
A Correct Way To Read A Pregnancy Test
Though many electronic pregnancy test devices can tell you the result accurately, the pregnancy test stick/strip is the most common device as they are not expensive and can be bought everywhere.
The Stick Shows 2 Bold Colored Lines
Congratulations, you are pregnant!!. Now you should make an appointment with your doctor for further examination and tests. After that, you can start monitoring the pregnancy.
The Stick Shows 1 Bold Line And 1 Faint Line
This result shows that you are probably pregnant. But it is possible that the fetus has just formed an embryo and the HCG concentration is still low, leading to the color of the line being quite pale. The longer you conceive, the more visible the color. It is best to try again after a few days. To make sure, you can visit your doctor to do tests and get an accurate result.
The Stick shows 2 Faint lines:
This result may have different meanings:
- You are pregnant but still early to confirm. So please wait a few more days and try again.
- You are pregnant but have an early miscarriage. Due to early miscarriage, the strip still detects the presence of hCG in the urine, but there is no live embryo.
- You are not pregnant, and the reason is that you leave the test strip outside for too long before reading the results.
There is only 1 Bold line
This result normally means that you are not pregnant. But if you still think you are pregnant, you can try the test again after a few days or visit your doctor for a proper test.
No Line Appears On The Stick
In this case, the results cannot be read. The pregnancy test has failed due to improper storage, or the urine sample is not guaranteed or handling is incorrect. When this happens, you should use another strip, read the instructions carefully and try again.
The Result of a Pregnancy Test may be not Correct in Some Situations
- You are having an ectopic pregnancy, a false pregnancy. This may lead to false results or the results may be different at each time. In some cases, you may have a non-pregnant result, but you still experience the obvious symptoms of pregnancy
- The result will be incorrect if you have an ovarian cyst.
- If you drink too much water before the pregnancy test, the HCG levels will be diluting, leading to inaccurate results.
- IF you use poor quality, imitation or expired stick, applying the most accurate pregnancy test method still does not give the correct results.
- Medicines such as diuretics, tranquilizers, and antibiotics are more or less likely to cause false test results.
Now you have the simple guide to read a pregnancy test result. In any case, visiting your doctor to confirm the result is highly recommended. Do you have any tips for other mothers? Share with us in the comments